What are the dates, times and arrival procedure for new students?

The 2022 Freshers' arrival day is scheduled for Saturday 1 October 2022. Each undergraduate Fresher arriving by car will receive by email an arrival time slot.  

If we arrive by car, are we permitted to park in College?

Parking is allowed for unloading purposes only during the permitted arrival times and all cars should be removed promptly once this is complete.  Further information regarding the special traffic and parking arrangements will be published closer to the start of the academic year.  Details regarding local car parks are provided by Cambridge City Council.  On arrival at the Regent Street entrance to College, you will be met by College members who will direct you where to park.  Getting to Cambridge and Downing maps can be found here.

My child has been allocated a room at Downing.  When will it be ready to move into?

All rooms will be available on Saturday 1 October, unless your child has permission to arrive into residence earlier.  Room keys and/or University cards will be issued at Registration.

Instead of bringing everything with us, can we arrange to have items sent to the College in advance of our arrival?

Unfortunately, the College does not have sufficient on-site storage to allow this.  Therefore, nothing is to be sent to College prior to your child taking up residence.

Are there any welcome events for parents and family members?

The Butterfield Cafe will be open when your child registers with us.  Toilets will be available. 

During Michaelmas Term the Master, Vice Master and Senior Tutor cordially invite the parents and guardians of first-year undergraduates to a reception and sit-down lunch in College.  This will be an opportunity to learn more about life in College.

When will my child receive their first College bill and how should this be paid?

A College bill, which is due for payment at the beginning of the Michaelmas Term, will be sent to your child's Cambridge email address.  If you would like to discuss any items on the bill or have any other questions, please contact the Bursary.  Please note:  Bursary staff will be working remotely and will be available to answer any queries you may have on Saturday 1 October 2022.

Is separate insurance cover required for rooms and personal belongings?

No, students living in College accommodation pay the Residence Charge, which includes insurance through the College provider, S-Tech.  The insurance policy provides cover in various categories, including accidental damage to rooms, as well as limited cover for bicycles and laptops, on and off College premises.  Insurance cover can be increased here.