When I applied to Downing, I used a school email address on my UCAS application, but this no longer works.  What should I do to ensure I don't miss any important emails from you? 

It is essential that you email the Admissions Office to provide a personal email address that we can use to update your record and contact you before you arrive in Cambridge.

I have received a confirmed offer of a place to study at Downing.  What should I do now?

Please go to the Downing website and read the Information for Offer Holders page.  

How and when will I know what accommodation I have been allocated and who my Director of Studies and Tutor will be?

The Tutorial and Admissions Office will write to you in September to tell you who your Director of Studies and Tutor will be, as well as further information relating to the College and your studies.  You will be asked to complete an online form to determine your accommodation needs.  Before the beginning of term, your accommodation and room number for your first year at Downing will be confirmed by email.

When will I receive my College bill?

Your College bill will be emailed to your Cambridge email address prior to your arrival in College.  You will not be able to access this information until you have undertaken the University Student Registration process to update your personal information and collect your computing accounts.  Therefore, please ensure this is done as soon as you receive an email from the University in August or September, which will be sent to your personal email address. If you have any questions about your College bill, please email: bursary@dow.cam.ac.uk.

How do I request a letter from College to open a bank account?

On your arrival in Cambridge please email the Tutorial Office, stating your full name (as printed on your passport), the bank, your Cambridge address and the date the letter is required by.  Please note, it may take up to five working days to process your request.  Your letter will be sent to your @cam email address.